Do you want to know ways on how to get rid of bad breath permanently? Aside from the option to consult a periodontist like Dr Patty at toothsome.com.au, you can also use home remedies. Furthermore, a good practice of oral habits will also ensure fresher breath for you.
Bad breath explained
Bad breath represents the unpleasant odor coming from your mouth. Additionally, it can either occur occasionally or can be a chronic condition. Under the chronic condition, dental professionals use the medical term halitosis for this condition.
Generally speaking, bad breath is the outcome of poor oral hygiene. The absence of a regular cleaning routine of the mouth and teeth allows food particles to remain intact between the teeth and gum lines. As a result, bad breath, gum disease, and other oral health issues can occur.
Causes of bad breath
Several factors can cause bad breath. It can be from something we ate or could be a more significant medical issue. Please take note of the following items that may lead to incurring bad breath.
- Poor oral hygiene: We need food to sustain the nutrients we need. However, if we will not practice good oral hygiene, our mouth and teeth will develop oral problems, such as cavity and gum disease. Food particles allow bacteria to feed and grow inside the mouth.
- Food and beverages: Certain foods leave odors in the mouth, such as garlic, onions, or coffee.
- Dry mouth: This oral condition comes from insufficient saliva production. For this reason, saliva cannot play its vital role. Saliva is essential to wash your mouth. Dry mouth can occur due to particular medications, saliva gland issues, or through breathing using the mouth. Snoring might also cause dry mouth so consult an expert for sleep issues.
- Gum disease: Bad breath usually indicates an advanced stage of gum disease. The majority experience tooth loss with this disease.
- Smoking and using tobacco: Smoking leaves stains in the teeth and causes bad breath. Aside from that, it opens your body to several health risks. On the other hand, tobacco reduces your sense of taste and can irritate your gum tissues.
- Other health problems: There are diseases associated with the condition of your mouth. Some of them can cause bad breath.
Your bad breath may even have underlying causes. It would be best to consult a healthcare professional if the unpleasant smell in your mouth doesn’t go away.
You can also refer to the video below on how to check if you have bad breath.
How to get rid of bad breath permanently with Home remedies
Having bad breath is completely uncomfortable. It can make you feel conscious if the breath is not fresh as it should be. For this reason, you can try these simple home remedies to work that out.
- Saltwater rinse: This remedy is the most common natural way to freshen your mouth. Aside from that, the things you’ll need to make this rinse is within your kitchen only.
- Cloves: It does not only work to freshen your breath. It also works in fighting bacteria that can cause cavities.
- Apple cider vinegar: It excellently removes the offensive mouth odors after eating onions and garlic. It neutralizes the odor and freshens your breath quickly.
- Fruits and vegetables: Crunchy fruits and vegetables allow you to remove odor-causing bacteria present in your teeth. Additionally, fruits and vegetables are excellent stimulators of saliva production.
- Homemade mouthwash: Another mouthwash to consider is a mixture that contains baking soda. It is excellent in killing bacteria in the mouth.
Several home remedies are all over the internet. However, it would be best to ask for your dentist’s opinion about them. They might even recommend what’s best for your bad breath condition.
As we have mentioned earlier, bad breath is a result of poor oral hygiene. For this reason, let me remind you of the primary preventive care you can apply to prevent bad breath.
Preventive dental care
These oral health care habits are necessary to keep a fresher breath and healthier teeth. Regularly practicing these habits will ensure good oral health condition.
- Brush your teeth regularly. Brushing at least twice a day enables the removal of plaque and food particles. With regular brushing, the bacteria will have difficulty growing inside your mouth. It would be best to follow the proper brushing technique.
- Another way to remove food debris from your teeth is through flossing. If you floss at least once a day, it will help clean the hard-to-reach areas in your mouth.
- Do not leave behind your tongue. Consider using a tongue scraper or even your brush to remove the residues.
- Using a mouthwash also helps in removing bad breath. However, it will only take effect for some time. It cannot entirely cure it, especially if there are underlying health issues.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Do not visit them only when you have oral issues. It would be better to let your dentist do a regular check at least twice a year. It will help to have early detection of potential oral issues. In effect, your dentist can also provide early treatment for that.
- Ensure to keep your mouth hydrated. Drink plenty of water to keep the odor under control.
- Additionally, you can also consider chewing a sugarless candy or gum to help stimulate saliva flow.
- Observe a well-balanced diet. Eat food that can provide the nutrients in keeping your teeth healthy.
- Quit smoking, including the use of tobacco products. These vices can cause bad breath. Aside from that, brushing and mouthwash may not remove the unpleasant smell it leaves behind.
Given these points, we can say that we can prevent bad breath from occurring in the first place. However, if you experience bad breath, you can apply home remedies to work it out.
It would be best to follow good oral health habits to prevent bad breath. Bad breath can significantly affect your daily living. It can affect communication and socialization if you don’t act on it. Aside from that, you might also lose opportunities because of bad breath.
Will you let that happen? This article has already shown you how to get rid of bad breath permanently. The choice is yours!